History of the Native Daughters of the Golden West Home
concept of establishing a Native Daughters of the Golden West
Home—a place of security, comfort and friendly
companionship—was initially achieved by utilizing a 1892 bequest
of Native Son S.P. Rogers which specified that the funds were to
be used for the aid and comfort of NDGW members.
By the turn of the century, the first “Home” had its
humble beginnings with a rented flat at 925 O’Farrell Street in
The Order’s ambition to own a facility was realized with
the 1903 purchase of a residence at 1113 Hyde Street.
Unfortunately, the Home was destroyed in the fire following
the 1906 earthquake.
same year, Dr. Marianna Bertola became the Chairman of the Home
Committee (a post she held for the next 47 years) and as a result
of her leadership, a house and lot at the current location, 555
Baker Street, was acquired in 1913.
In 1924 an adjoining residence on Baker Street was
acquired, which set the stage for the construction of our current
In 1927 Dr. Bertola engaged her friend, Julia Morgan, the
famed architect of the Hearst Castle, to draw plans for our
The next two years saw the demolition of the original
buildings and the creation of our “new” NDGW Home, which was
formally dedicated in January 1929.
Total cost of the building was just over $91,000.
A campaign (the “Loyalty Pledge”) to liquidate the
mortgage was launched and in August 1932 the Home became free and
clear of debt.
This was an especially remarkable achievement considering
it was accomplished by women in the middle of the Great
1939 another residence adjoining the Home was purchased and rented
for many years to supplement the income of the Home.
Then in 1965, using funds realized from the sale of
property left to the Home by PGP Emma G. Foley, the adjoining
rental property was converted to garages and meeting spaces.
In 1985 the NDGW Grand Parlor offices were moved from
downtown San Francisco to occupy the second floor of the “Foley
residence program was discontinued as of October 1, 1986, and the
Home currently is maintained for the “aid and comfort of NDGW
members” as a four-story, reinforced concrete House Museum with
a Public Reference Library (Pioneer Roster), and guest rooms for
NDGW members and their guests.
taken from the